Tuesday, 28 March 2017

My Belated Reaction to 'Star Wars: Rogue One' (Spoiler alert!)

Please note that there are spoilers in this blog post. Thank you :-).

It was Mother's Day in the UK on the Sunday just gone, and my mum insisted that she didn't want a meal in a restaurant, she wanted to watch 'Star Wars: Rogue One', because she wanted to watch a film about spaceships and aliens (as mums do). So we watched it together.

I came away with mixed feelings. Part of me was surprised to hear the male lead sporting a Spanish accent, to see someone who looked South Asian be a hero, and to see Donnie Yen have a go at being Zatoichi (I know much has been made of Donnie Yen being in 'Star Wars: Rogue One', but I still found myself having to look twice to see if it really was Donnie Yen in 'Star Wars: Rogue One' (it was)).

It perplexes me, therefore, that while things look like they're moving in the right direction, they're not.

My reaction to the CGI officer was 'that's Mr Hanssen off Holby City!' before I realised that it was only a mannequin with his voice and mannerisms. Worse was to come when (spoiler alert!!!) Princess Leia popped up at the end  like a waxwork gone wrong. At that point, 'Rogue One' turned from a triumphant sci-fi opera into a horror movie. It was that appalling.

I came away with the impression that through the CGI officer and Princess Leia, the makers of 'Rogue One' were stating, boldly and with no reservations whatsoever, that whatever a human does, a computer can do too, if not better. You can take any Dick, Tom or Harry that moves, and superimpose a famous person's face over them. You can reduce an actor's skill into a series of movements that can be replicated. You can dispose of the actor.

I've said this before and I will say it again: acting is a craft. To use CGI to replace actors a la 'Rogue One' is at best laughable, and at worst not just disrespectful to the actor, but disrespectful to 'being human'/'the human experience', especially when you replace the human actor with a computer-generated best-guess at how that actor would have actually used their skill to portray a character.

After 'Rogue One', I firmly believe that the series of movements that a truly inspired actor uses on encountering the right character can't be replicated. The actor is using his/her experience, or pretending to use his/her experience, to create. Although it doesn't seem like it, the work actors do is very similar to the work of a writer or a painter. Painters use pictures to create, and writers are wordsmiths, but actors only have their bodies and voices, and therefore, what they do isn't tangible like a painting or a book or even a film, but like painters and writers, when the best actors are playing a character that works for them, they are inspired by something that no-one else will have at that point in time, and they can and will create the illusion of reality.

It's late in the day and I'm ranting, and I'm not an actor, just bored, but I really hope the CGI officer and Princess Leia will not be a trend or the start of a trend. Otherwise, I will simply switch off and read a book :-).



No comments:

Post a Comment